1/30/11

Refinishing The 7 String - Part 2


After about 4 hours of sanding this is what we have. The body is basswood (lime tree) so the top isn't especially pretty. I was hoping it would look better than it does, so I think
 I may do a maple burl or birds-eye veneer on the top.  


I was planning on doing an oil finish, but since the wood is fairly yellow, I will probably do a tinted oil.  Somewhere between oak and mahogany in color.  I think that will look nice with the maple veneer on top.


The headstock is actually maple, but again, not very attractive.  So it will likely get a matching veneer.
Next week, the final sanding and hopefully a few coats of oil, at least on the back.

2 comments:

  1. I figured it would be something like basswood. By basswood standards I actually think that looks pretty nice, with the right finish it would look good to my non-visual-artist eye.

    However, I would be incredibly impressed if you threw a birdseye veneer on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just no real grain on the top. I heard someone say once that black guitars always had the worst looking tops, they are just going to cover them up anyway.

    ReplyDelete